Time of Remembrance

Deborah A. Nebel




Yakima, WA

Date of Death:


Incident Location:

Auburn, WA

Military Branch:

United States Army




A Co, 426th Civil Affairs Battalion

Unit Base:

Upland, CA

Deborah Ann (Kincannon) Nebel, passed away peacefully September 27, 2010. in Auburn WA. after a gallant battle with cancer. She was born January 29, 1952 to Mary and Carl Kincannon in Yakima, WA.

Debbie attended elementary through high school in Yakima. Then joined the Army reserve and began a distinguished military career. When she retired the first time she went back to school as a travel agent. After graduation she owned and operated her own travel agency in Eugene Oregon.

Debbie was called out of retirement after 12 years to serve with A Co, 426th Civil Affairs Battalion in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom stationed in Kirkuk, Iraq. She was given the daunting task of mentoring the Director General of Health and Education in the implementation of their projects. Because of her persistence, all five clinics that were over a year behind schedule were finally opened by 09 October 2007 and over 20,000 Iraqi citizens now have access to improved health care facilities.

She also oversaw the selection of over 900 schools to be renovated within budget.

When SFC Nebel wasn’t working on her job, she was tirelessly working to support her own soldiers. When she saw morale of the unit starting to slip she instituted a Saturday morning ritual of cooking and serving breakfast to any soldier or civilian that wanted to come. She did this with her own money, her own time, and her own genuine concern for her fellow soldier and civilian counter part. What became known as “Deb’s Diner” grew into an operation that routinely fed a home cooked meal to in excess of 40 soldiers, airmen, sailors, and civilians every Saturday morning using only an electric skillet and a microwave oven, When her tour was over she worked in Washington D.C. with the Army Corps of Engineers. Where she still helped soldiers going on to their own to tours.

Her illness was discovered at Walter Reed Hospital in March of this year.

She ended her tenure as a sergeant first class, having been awarded a Bronze Star and Meritorious Service Medal. She also received the Steel Order of the de Fleury Award from the Army Corps of Engineer.